We all have bad days. From time to time we get down, frustrated, angry, stuck or just plain old unhappy. You can either stay in it or worse yet, sink further down the rabbit hole of doom and gloom. Wouldn’t you love to shake it off and get back to feeling good? The ‘it’ we are talking about is the negative energy – that drains, controls and takes us over. It gets the best of the best of us all from time to time.
It can’t all be rainbows and unicorns everyday, but you can shorten your stay in muck of Unhappy Ville. Here are 10 ways to Shift your Energy – release negativity and feel better about life…
1. Move – When you are unhappy it shows in your body. We store and show our emotions in our physical bodies. The mind, body, spirit connection is real. One of the fastest ways to change your state is to move your body. Exercise, walk, change your posture or just move – it release endorphins, gets blood flowing, and can release stagnant energy.
2. Breathe – Ever heard the phrase if you are upset – “take 10 deep breaths before speaking” or have you ever been comforted when crying by just taking deep breaths. Breathing is the most powerful tool you have to get calm, centered and clear. Inhale positive energy and exhale out the bad.
3. Laugh – Laughter dissolves distressing emotions. You can’t feel anxious, angry, or sad when you’re laughing. Laughter helps you relax and recharge. It reduces stress and increases energy, enabling you to stay focused and accomplish more. Humor shifts perspective, allowing you to see situations in a more realistic, less threatening light. A humorous perspective creates psychological distance, which can help you avoid feeling overwhelmed.
4. Nature – In the modern world we can forget the profound connection to Nature we have. There is something Magical about watching a sunset, walking through a forest, hiking up the mountain side, feeling the waves wash over your feet or just smelling the roses. Mother Nature is part of us. Seeing the beauty and awe of it all can melt our troubles drift away.
5. Be Thankful – Gratitude for the what’s good or right in your life shifts the focus from looking at what is wrong. What you focus on tends to multiply. Find 3 things you are grateful for, right now and draw more good stuff to your attention.
6. Learn – Look for a WHY and find a lesson in your current situation. When you can shift your perspective to begin to see a challenge as an opportunity for growth. Life will not get you down. In fact you may learn to welcome adversity, knowing it is always taking you someplace better. ask yourself – “what am I learning from this…”
7. Be of Service – Getting the attention off your problems is easy when you focus on helping someone else. We can get stuck in our own myopic view of life. The moment you lend a hand to someone else, your perspective shifts. You can see that your life might not be so bad.
8. Music – Music is universal language of our soul. It has the power to bring people together. You can’t be upset if you sing or dance. So put on your favorite song. Sing out loud. Shake your booty. Let the music take all your cares away.
9. Write – We can release the sting of upset or sadness with the power of the pen. Journal out your feelings is a great way to release the hold the hold they have on you. So get a pen and paper and let it all out. You may even surprise yourself with some profound insight or solution in the midst of your writing process.
10. Hug – Hug it out. Hugs are like a drug that makes us feel good, for real. Scientific research shows hugging actually stimulates oxytocin, dopamine and serotonin releases, lowers heart rate, enhances immune system and releases stress. So get to it. Give a hug. Get a hug.